Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Power of "isms"

I can honestly say that I am a different person than I was. I have grown and I have changed.

I am different.

The pink glasses are off. The world looks like a different place.

Why do we view life through our own experiences? Is it because we have no one else's experiences to use? No. It's because everything is easy for us. We haven't ever had to walk in anyone else's shoes. We can keep our own, comfortable, familiar shoes on and not worry about the comfort of anyone else's feet.

We don't have to worry about being killed because we are different. We don't have to worry about ever being refused anything. Yes, I will get paid 76 cents on every dollar, but at least I was hired. At least I am paid.

Every day I drive to my job and see 30 homeless people under the overpass. Do you think they are lazy? Do you think they WANT to live like that? Life handed them the shit stick and they had no choice but to take it. Society forced them to take the stick and not ask questions.

Capital"ISM"

I'm sick of indifference. I'm sick of passiveness. I WILL DO SOMETHING.

Murder is NEVER okay. Not even when someone tells you it is noble.

Racism is scary. It is not a joke. You cannot be "not racist"... only "anti-racist."

Letting someone hurt others is the same as doing it yourself.

LOOK AROUND.

Open your eyes wide.

Racism
Agism
Shapism
Heterocentrism
Classism
Anti-sematism
Sexism

Even a passive oppressor is still an oppressor.

I have been a passive opressor in the past and I apologize. I have sat with my mouth closed and thought that if I ignored it, it might dissapear.

It didn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home