Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What a Little Stress can Do

Well, I've felt better, that's for sure. I am lucky, though. So many awful things could have happened.

Lately, I've been complaining of an unbearable headache. It's lasted for 6 days and hasn't stopped. So, I went to the health center on campus. I definitely have Shingles. I'm 20 and I have...Shingles. Really and truly? Yes.

Then, off to my actual doctor. The headache was driving me CRAZY. So, I spoke to the RN and my doctor and they said I needed to go to the E.R. Awesome. Hah. Thanks goodness my parents live so close.

The E.R. wasn't very crowded, luckily. I went in and they took some blood and gave me a cat scan. Luckily... no brain tumor. Then they said they needed to do a "lumbar puncture." Anything with the word "puncture" in it is enough to scare anyone. THEN I found out it's also called a spinal tap. That wording didn't sound any better.

So, they "tapped me spine." THAT was pretty fun. You have to curl up in the fetal position (so you are facing away from the doctor and what she plans to do. This was good because I didn't get to see the needle, but it was weird because I didn't know how awful it looked.). Then she numbed me about 4 times with nice little needles. (the nice was obviously sarcasm) Then she stuck the GIGANTIC needle in. Unfortunately, she got blood the first time and had to do a do-over. I was super-psyched.

When that was all over... I had to lie flat on my back for... 4 hours. Sweetness.

Then they came in and told me that I have viral meningitis (NOT to be confused with the terrifying fatal kind: bacterial meningitis). At first, they said I would have to stay overnight. Luckily, though, another doctor came in and told me that I could stay if I wanted to. Of course, I said no. Hah. 'Please let me stay in the hospital, sir!! I LOVE it here!"

So- that's my drama for now. I'm on the couch basically every second of the day.

Call me if you'd like. Bad HBO movies get pretty old.

Meningitis Mari

1 Comments:

At 2:52 AM, Blogger Claire said...

Oh my gosh, sweetie! I am so sorry you are so sick. I wish I was there, I would come over to cheer you up and we could watch movies together or something.

How long is it supposed to be till you get better? I hope you are not still sick for Xmas. I know your mom and dad and Ruth and Ryan are probably taking good care of you. Anyway, you'll be in my thoughts and I will call you as soon as I get back in the states. I MISS YOU AND FEEL BETTER.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home